Cropredy Bridge, on the River Cherwell, has been a bridge on this site since at least 1312.
It was last rebuilt in 1937, and prior to this, in 1884 by local builder Thomas Cherry.
The Parliamentarian army crossed this bridge in the battle of 1644, heading east and north eastwards to engage the King’s troops.
It was the site of a major battle in 1644 during the English civil war. King Charles’ engaged the Parliamentarian army led by Sir William Waller. The battle was a stalemate; Parliamentarian side suffered heavy casualties but ultimately prevented the King’s forces from crossing the bridge. A plaque on the bridge bears the inscription: Site of the Battle of Cropredy Bridge 1644. From Civil War deliver us.
PICTURES BELOW ARE OF THE RE-ENACTMENT IN 2019